Blueberry Banana Oat Smoothie

Blueberry Banana Oat Smoothie

With the new year, I’ve decided to try to eat breakfast more often and also eat more fresh fruit. Why not do both at the same time? Smoothies are a great way to do just that!

Blueberry Banana Oat Smoothie

I’ve been noticing the trend of adding oats to smoothies, I was intrigued and had to give it a try. I really liked the addition! It gives smoothies sort of a doughy taste, in a really good way.

If you know me well at all, you know that I really dislike bananas, but they give a great texture to smoothies and, when blended with other fruit, they’re barely detectable. Mangos also make smoothies smooth and delicious (check out my Blueberry Mango Smoothie and Pineapple Mango Smoothie)!

Blueberry Banana Oat Smoothie

I like to wash and freeze blueberries for smoothies, you could also freeze the banana for this recipe.

Blueberry Banana Oat Smoothie                                               1 large serving

• 1/2 banana
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/4 cup oats
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • handful of ice
  • honey (optional, for added sweetness)

Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. You’ll probably need to blend it a little longer than a normal smoothie, to make sure that the oats are well incorporated. Add extra almond milk if smoothie seems too thick.

Blueberry Banana Oat Smoothie

Have you tried adding oats to smoothies? Are there any other special ingredients that you like to throw in?

Facebook // Etsy // Pinterest // Instagram // Twitter

16 Comments Add yours

1. Dina Farmer says:

Yum! I will have to try that some time!!

1. I hope you enjoy it!

2. Blueberries are so yummy. I used to have a fresh fruit and kale smoothie every morning for breakfast (I was raw vegan for 3 years) but my blood sugar would always crash a couple hours later and I’d be starving again. We went Paleo a year ago and I switched to having no or very little carbs at breakfast and eating protein and healthy fats–what a difference. Now I just eat veggies, no fruit, or some fruit after I’ve eaten a full meal with fats to slow the absorption. Steady blood sugar. Actually I normally have buttery coffee for breakfast! http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/ These tips are great! http://www.bulletproofexec.com/engineering-the-ultimate-morning/

1. This is very interesting! I’ve never been much of a breakfast fan to begin with, I’ll have to look into this. Thanks for sharing!

3. Ryn says:

Mmmm! I’m going to have to try this!!! Sounds yummy! And the oats just makes sense, to satiate yourself!

1. I hope you like it girl! I’m really loving the addition of oats, there are so many potential flavor combinations!

4. Ryn B says:

Ok, so I tried the oats in my smoothie yesterday! I used part of your recipe, with the banana, blueberries, and oats. Then I used coconut milk in a can. Then I put in frozen spinach and fresh kale. I also put in protein powder, (all I had was chocolate) and it was really good! I will warn the color is displeasing… I mean it’s a pretty color in general, but not when you have to drink that color! So you should try it… Maybe! Thanks girl for the idea of oats in smoothies! : )

-Ryn

1. Oh yum! I like smoothies with greens, but I’ve never made one myself, must try!

5. Haley says:

I love adding oats and blueberries to my morning yogurt. This smoothie is a perfect blend of those flavors and I love the color.

1. That sounds really good too! Thank for commenting Haley!

6. lefoodsnob says:

Love the color. I definitely want to try this!

1. I hope you give it a try, it’s my current favorite!

1. lefoodsnob says:

I gave it a dry this weekend but added a bit of blackberry jam which made it way too sweet. I’m definitely trying it again though (sans jam)!

7. Cherie says:

One thing I started doing was adding water instead of more Almond Milk. That way you can keep track of calorie intake better, and up your water intake at the same time. :) This sounds interesting. I think I will try it with my frozen mixed berries.

1. That’s a really great idea! I’ll have to do that from now on.

8. joyfill says:

This smoothie looks so tasty! I use ground flax seed in the ones I make sometimes = extra fibre and omega 3s.